- 4-5 pounds bone-in chicken thighs (also use chicken breasts)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 ounces achiote paste
- 1 tablespoon of EACH: ground coriander, ground cumin, kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons of EACH: smoked paprika and dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile pepper
- Cilantro (chopped), for serving
- Fresh lime slices for serving
Add all of the marinade ingredients into a blender cup. Pulse and blend until smooth, consistent similar to a sauce.
Add chicken to a ziplock bag or an air-tight container. Pour the marinade over the chicken. Mix until the chicken is evenly coated.
Marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for 4 to 24 hours. Let the chicken sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before cooking. (If using chicken breasts, marinate for up to 12 hours)
Preheat the grill to medium-high heat, 425-450°F. Grill for 5-7 minutes per side or until chicken is cooked through and an internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F for chicken breast and 175 degrees F for chicken thighs. Use an instant-read thermometer. Transfer chicken to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Enjoy hot with your favorite Mexican-inspired sides.
- Let the chicken marinade for at least 30 minutes, 4 hours for maximum flavor, and 24 hours for authentic taste.
- For an authentic taste with charred bits, cook on the grill.
- Let the chicken sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before cooking. For best results, do not grill chicken or any protein straight out of the refrigerator. Room-temperature protein is juicier and cooks more evenly.
Serve with cilantro-lime rice, tortillas, corn salsa, pico de gallo, guacamole, and black beans. Add a dollop of sour cream and fresh squeed lime. Also serve as a salad bowl, burrito, or quesadilla.
- Refrigerator: Cool the Pollo Asado and store it in an air-tight container or resealable bag in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Reheat: To reheat the chicken, microwave for 2 minutes with a splash of water or place it in a frying pan with a bit of oil over medium-high heat for about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Prep Time: 5 min + marinade time
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Savory
- Method: Mexican
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: chipotle mexican grill, copycat chipotle pollo asado, pollo asado recipe