- 2 1/2 - 3 lbs red skin potatoes
- 1/2 cup butter (salted or unsalted butter is fine, adjust salt as needed)
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup reserved
- 1 tablespoon fresh green onions (only the green part), chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- 2 teaspoon salt, for salting water
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 small garlic bulb
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Make Roasted Garlic
- Cut the top off the garlic bulb, and place it in a baking dish or aluminum foil (with ends folded up to hold olive oil). Add olive oil (a generous amount of olive oil is good) and bake for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees F (175 degrees F) until the golden color starts showing.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool. If using immediately, wait long enough to be able to handle the hot garlic clove contents. Then, squeeze the cut end and push the soft, roasted garlic out. Use about 4 cloves for this recipe. You can spread the rest on toast or save and add to a soup recipe!
- While the garlic is roasting, make the mashed potatoes.
Red Skin Mashed Potatoes
- Cut the potatoes into quarters and put them in a large pot. Fill the pot with water until the potatoes are fully submerged. Add a large pinch of salt and bring the water to a boil. Cook until fork-tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, in a small saucepan, heat the butter, whole milk, salt and pepper on low heat until steamy and very fragrant, about 5 minutes. You want the milk to be hot.
- Drain the potatoes and reserve 1/4 cup of the water.
- Using a potato masher (or tool of choice), mash the potatoes until your desired consistency. I like the potatoes creamy with a few chunks. Then gently mix the roasted garlic and butter until fully combined.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and top with fresh chopped green onions and fresh chives. Add a pat of butter on the top, if desired.
- Mash the red skin potatoes DO NOT whip them! Whipping your red potatoes can make them 'gluey' in texture since they have less starch than Russet potatoes or Yukon Gold potatoes.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Category: Savory
- Method: Italian American
- Cuisine: Italian American
Keywords: roasted garlic, mashed potatoes, side dish, red potatoes,