For the Cannoncini
- 1 sheet of puff pastry, defrosted (about 225 g)
- 1 egg, well beaten (for egg wash)
- Powdered sugar for dusting
See step by step instructions and recipe for Best Italian Pistachio Cream.
- Make the pastry cream, cover with plastic wrap, and leave in fridge until needed.
- Heat oven to 475 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Place the horn molds in a shallow dish and spray them with cooking spray on all sides. Set aside.
- Lay your puff pastry on a well floured surface and lightly brush all over with egg wash. Cut into twelve ¾-inch-wide strips.
- Start wrapping the puff pastry around the molds. Starting at the pointed end of the cone mold, wrap the dough strips around the mold, overlapping slightly and lightly stretching the dough to wrap about half way up the mold (if you have longer strips it may reach the end). Press the last part unto the mold well to seal.
- Place seam side down onto a parchment-lined sheet pan. Sprinkle generously all over with powdered sugar. (TIP: keep the egg wash away from the mold, or it will make it harder to remove the pastry horn from the mold once baked)
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes until golden on top. Let the puff pastry cool for a couple of minutes and gently remove from the mold. If the pastry sticks to the mold, use a the sharp end of a knife and very gently wiggle it in between the pastry and the mold until it comes off.
- Just before serving, fill the pastry with the cream using a piping bag. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 15 minutes (cooling time 1 1/2 hours)
- Category: Sweet
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: custard, pastry cream, Italian pastry cream, dessert, cannoncini, cream horns, pistachio cream