- 1 lb (454 gr) Fettuccine pasta
- 1 1/2 cups ( gr)fresh finely* grated parmigiano Cheese (divided), more for serving
- 1/2 cup (113gr) good quality grass feed butter (divided) at room temperature
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste (optional)
- Divide the butter into six equal pieces. Add half of the butter to a large serving platter.
In a large pot of boiling salted water cook the fettuccine until al dente according to package directions. Save 1 cup of the starchy pasta water before staining.
- Add half the pasta water (1/2 cup) to the serving platter with the butter. Stir the butter with the hot pasta water to melt the butter. Add the hot pasta to the serving platter. Using kitchen tongs, mix the until butter sauce coats all the strands of pasta.
- Add the rest of the butter and pasta water. Mix the pasta with the kitchen tongs until a smooth, creamy sauce forms. Keep moving the pasta until all the butter melts.
- Add the freshly grated parmigiano cheese and mix to combine.
- Top with extra parmigiano cheese and freshly grated pepper- if desired.
- Cook Pasta Perfectly. Salt the water to flavor the pasta from the inside out. Only cook until al dente. Read: How Long to Boil Spaghetti Pasta Perfectly Every Time.
- Grate your cheese with a cheese grater or a Microplane, and use real Parmigiano cheese from the block for the creamiest result. The FINER the grate, the more smooth your sauce will be since it will melt faster with the pasta water and hot pasta. If you like a little more texture, use a coarser grate. Decide based on preference.
- TOP 5 Reasons Why You Should Grate Your Own Cheese.
- Do NOT use imitation parmigiano cheeses, or your sauce will be clumpy.
- Reserve Pasta Water. Save a cup of the pasta water to make the sauce extra creamy without using cream.
- Serve immediately, so the sauce is smooth and creamy.
I doubt there will be leftovers, but just in case, here is how to store and reheat your fettuccine Alfredo pasta. Let pasta cool slightly and store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Reheat the leftover on the stovetop. Add a little water and extra parmigiano cheese, and heat on medium heat until heated. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Savory
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: butter, cheese, pasta, fettuccine alfredo, Italian pasta recipe