- 2 C flour (remove 1/3 C set aside)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 C Crisco (vegetable shortening)
- 1/4 C cold water
- Remove 1/3 cup of flour from 2 cups of flour and set aside in a small mixing bowl
- Mix the remaining flour and salt together in a medium to large mixing bowl
- Add crisco to the flour mixture – mix together thoroughly with hands until all of the crisco is well incorporated into the flour mixture (“over mixing” the dough is actually what you want to do here, which is the opposite of what you do when making dough for a butter crust)
- Add cold water to the 1/3 cup of flour and whisk together with a fork to form a paste
- Add this mixture to the dough and mix with your hands until fully incorporated and just until dough is not sticky anymore.
- Separate dough into 2 equal sized balls
- Roll out each ball between two sheets of plastic wrap.
To blind bake:
- Place the dough in a pie plate or tin.
- Poke bottom with fork several times to avoid air bubbles.
- Line the dough with tinfoil and fill to the very TOP with plain white sugar (this is your weight- it will not touch the crust- do not reuse the sugar for eating but you may reuse for blind baking).
- Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 8-10 minutes. It is not supposed to brown. It will have a slight gold tint.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Sweet/Savory
- Method: American
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pie crust, pies, sweet, savory, crisco, shortening, flaky crust, tender pie crust