Best Jimmy Dean Sausage Dip Recipe with Cream Cheese- Indulge in creamy perfection with our Jimmy Dean Sausage Dip recipe! Two sausage varieties, velvety cream cheese, and vibrant veggies unite for an unforgettable flavor experience. Perfect for parties or cozy gatherings. This is a popular Davis family recipe!
Serve with your favorite tortilla chips, frito scoops, or veggies. Try our Spinach and Artichoke Dip.
Best Creamy Sausage Dip Recipe
This is my mother-in-law's easy recipe; the crowd goes wild every time she makes it! She's made this recipe for 30 years, and you better believe it's a winner. After you take your first taste, you'll see why. It's the perfect party dip for your next gathering, game day, the super bowl, or any holiday. You can call it "low carb" if you eat it with veggies!
To make things easier, I provide a stove top and Slow Cooker method so you can make this creamy cheese sausage dip however is best for you. This is a hot dip and is best served warm.
This easy sausage dip
- 🔥 1. Jimmy Dean Sausage - The Dynamic Duo First up, the star of the show: Jimmy Dean sausage! We're talking about a harmonious blend of flavors here. One package of mild and one package of hot Jimmy Dean sausage bring their A-game. The mild variety introduces a rich, savory depth that forms the base of this dip, while the hot version adds that irresistible touch of heat, awakening your taste buds and giving this dip its signature kick.
- 🧀 2. Cream Cheese - Velvet Creaminess Now, let's talk about the creamy backbone of this masterpiece - not one, but two blocks of velvety cream cheese! Picture the creamiest, dreamiest cheese imaginable, softening and melding into a luxurious canvas for our other ingredients. Its luscious, indulgent texture perfectly contrasts the spicy sausage and crunchy veggies.
- 🥄 3. Sour Cream - Creaminess: This is the secret ingredient that brings everything together, ensuring our dip is rich and velvety and beautifully cohesive. It provides that tangy, slightly zesty counterpoint to the savory sausage and adds a wonderful, irresistible creaminess.
- 🌶️ 4. Red Bell Pepper - Vibrant Elegance Next, we have the vibrant red bell pepper. It's not just for color; it's a superstar in this ensemble. Diced into bite-sized pieces, this bell pepper offers a brilliant pop of color and a subtle sweetness that perfectly balances the heat from the sausage.
- 🌱 5. Green Onions - Fresh Zing Last but not least, we have the green onions, finely chopped for that delicate freshness and zingy, mild onion flavor. Green onions bring the dip to life with their vibrant green hues and a subtle, spring-like aroma.
See the recipe card for quantities.
How to Make Jimmy Dean Sausage Dip Recipe
Whether you're hosting a game day gathering or a cozy evening with friends, this Creamy Jimmy Dean Sausage Dip with Cream Cheese is your secret weapon. It's comforting, indulgent, and utterly irresistible - a dip that will be the hit of the party.
So, what are you waiting for? Gather your ingredients, pick your method, and prepare to elevate your snacking game while you watch the next big game. Your guests will thank you and want the recipe!
I love this simple and easy recipe just like it is. Here are some substitutions for your hot sausage dip recipe:
- Sausage Varieties:
- Instead of using Jimmy Dean sausage, you can substitute with other brands of ground sausage, whether pork, turkey, or plant-based sausage, depending on your dietary preferences.
- Cream Cheese:
- You can substitute regular cream cheese with light cream cheese or neufchâtel cheese for a slightly lower-fat option.
- For a dairy-free version, try using vegan cream cheese made from nuts or tofu.
- Sour Cream:
- Greek yogurt or dairy-free yogurt can be used as a substitute for sour cream.
- Coconut yogurt or almond yogurt can be used for a dairy-free version.
- Red Bell Pepper:
- If you don't have red bell peppers, you can use green, yellow, or orange bell peppers. Each will bring a slightly different flavor and color to the dip.
- Green Onions:
- If you don't have green onions, you can use regular onions, shallots, or chives as a substitute. Adjust the quantity to your taste.
- Salt and Pepper:
- Feel free to use any of your favorite seasonings or spice blends to customize the flavor to your liking. Smoked paprika, garlic powder, or cayenne pepper can add a nice twist.
- Cooking Method:
- While the original recipe provides stove top and crock pot methods, you can choose the one that suits your convenience. However, keep in mind that cooking times may vary depending on your chosen method.
- Dipping Items:
- You can dip the sausage dip with various items like tortilla chips, crackers, breadsticks, or even vegetable sticks like celery and carrot for a healthier option.
Here are several delicious variations and flavor enhancements you can try with your Sausage Cream Cheese Dip:
- Spicy Kick:
- If you love heat, increase the amount of hot sausage or add diced jalapeños or crushed red pepper flakes to the dip for an extra spicy kick.
- Cheese Blend:
- Experiment with different cheese varieties. Try adding shredded cheddar, Monterey Jack, or pepper jack cheese for an extra layer of flavor to your creamy dip.
- Tex-Mex Twist:
- Give your dip a Tex-Mex flair by incorporating ingredients like diced tomatoes, black beans, and corn kernels. Top with chopped cilantro and serve with tortilla chips.
- Rotel Dip:
- Another popular variation is a variation of the original rotel sausage dip. Add Italian seasoning, rotell tomatoes, and shredded mozzarella cheese for an Italian-inspired twist. Serve with garlic bread or toasted baguette slices.
- Bacon Bliss:
- For a smoky flavor, mix in cooked and crumbled bacon along with the sausage. It adds an irresistible bacony dimension to the dip.
- Crunchy Toppings:
- Enhance the texture by topping the dip with crushed potato chips, toasted breadcrumbs, or French-fried onions just before serving. The contrast in textures is delightful.
- Boost the veggie content with diced bell peppers of various colors, diced tomatoes, or even roasted vegetables like zucchini and eggplant.
- Herby Delight:
- Stir in fresh herbs like basil, parsley, or cilantro for a burst of freshness and color. It adds a gourmet touch to the dip.
Remember that these variations are flexible, and you can mix and match ingredients to create your own signature dip.
Tips on how to store your Jimmy Dean Sausage Dip with Cream Cheese properly.
- If you have leftovers or want to prepare the dip in advance, allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Transfer the dip to an airtight container. Your sausage dip with cream cheese can be safely stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- When you're ready to enjoy it again, reheat the dip in a microwave-safe container or on the stove over low heat until it's thoroughly heated. Stir occasionally to ensure even heating. Be cautious not to overheat, as this can cause the dip to separate.
- Additional Note:
- Cream-based dips like this may thicken when refrigerated due to the cream cheese. You can add milk or sour cream while reheating to restore the creamy consistency.
- Freezing (Optional):
- If you want to store the dip longer, you can freeze it. Please place it in an airtight, freezer-safe container, leaving space at the top for expansion.
- Note: Freezing changes the consistency once it is thawed.
Top Tips for Best Results
Top tips to make your Jimmy Dean Sausage Dip with Cream Cheese recipe a delicious success:
- Use Quality Sausage: Choose high-quality sausage for the best flavor. Jimmy Dean sausage is a popular choice, but you can also use other trusted brands or freshly ground sausage from your local butcher for a more personalized touch.
- Balance the Heat: If you prefer a milder dip, use more mild sausage and less hot sausage. Conversely, if you love spice, adjust the ratio in favor of hot sausage or add extra hot sauce or crushed red pepper flakes.
- Room Temperature Cream Cheese: Ensure your cream cheese is softened to room temperature before adding it to the dip. Softened cream cheese blends more smoothly and evenly, preventing lumps.
- Low and Slow: Using low to medium heat when cooking the sausage and vegetables. This allows the flavors to meld together and prevents burning or scorching.
- Prevent Separation: Stir the dip consistently when adding cream cheese and sour cream to avoid separation. A silicone spatula works well for this task.
- Customize Veggies: Feel free to customize the dip with additional vegetables like diced tomatoes, black olives, or roasted red peppers for added texture and flavor.
- Keep Warm: If serving at a gathering, keep the dip warm using a slow cooker on the "keep warm" setting. This ensures it stays creamy and appetizing throughout the event.
Yes, you can make this dip ahead of time. Follow the recipe up to the point of cooking it, then allow it to cool. Transfer it to an airtight container and refrigerate. When ready to serve, reheat it on the stove or in the microwave until hot and creamy.
Yes, you can freeze this dip. Store it in an airtight container, leaving some space for expansion, and freeze for up to 2-3 months. Thaw it in the refrigerator overnight before reheating. The consistency will change after freezing.
Absolutely! You can substitute pork sausage with turkey sausage, chicken sausage, or even lean ground beef for a leaner option. Just make sure it's ground and flavored to your liking.
To prevent the dip from separating when reheating, stir it occasionally while gently reheating on the stove or in the microwave. You can also add a splash of milk or sour cream to help restore the creamy consistency.
Absolutely! You can easily halve the recipe if you want to make a smaller batch. Adjust the ingredient quantities accordingly.
Looking for other recipes? Try these:
What to Serve with Sausage Dip
Here more more appetizers you may like if you are serving the sausage dip as a spread with other apps:
Make sure to leave a ⭐️star rating on the recipe card and comment below if you make the recipe. I love to connect with you through my recipes.Print
- 2 packages Jimmy Dean sausage (16 oz each)- 1 hot Jimmy Dean sausage, 1 mild sausage
- 2 packages cream cheese (8 oz each), softened
- 24 oz sour cream
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 green onions, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
Stove Top Method:
- In a large skillet or frying pan, cook the Jimmy Dean sausage over medium-high heat. Break it apart into crumbles with a spoon as it cooks. Cook until the sausage is browned and cooked through, about 8-10 minutes.
- While the sausage is cooking, add the diced red bell pepper and chopped green onions to the skillet. Sauté them with the sausage, allowing the flavors to meld together. Cook until the vegetables are slightly softened, and the sausage is browned.
- Once the sausage is cooked and the vegetables are tender, use a slotted spoon to remove any excess grease from the pan.
- Reduce the heat to low, and add the softened cream cheese and sour cream to the skillet with the cooked sausage and vegetables. Stir continuously until the cream cheese is fully melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Season the dip with salt and pepper to taste. Continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes until everything is well combined.
- Transfer the dip to a serving dish and garnish with additional green onions if desired. Serve hot with tortilla chips, crackers, veggies, or bread for dipping.
Crock Pot Method:
- In a large skillet, cook the Jimmy Dean sausage over medium-high heat until it's browned and cooked through, breaking it apart into crumbles as it cooks. Drain any excess grease.
- Add the diced red bell pepper and chopped green onions to the skillet with the cooked sausage. Sauté them together until the vegetables are slightly softened, and the sausage is browned.
- Transfer the cooked sausage, bell pepper, and green onions to a slow cooker.
- Add the softened cream cheese and sour cream to the slow cooker. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 1-2 hours, or until the dip is hot and the cream cheese is fully melted. You can also set it to the "keep warm" setting if your slow cooker has one.
- Season the dip with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once the dip is ready, give it a final stir and garnish with additional green onions if desired. Keep the slow cooker on the "keep warm" setting to serve the dip warm throughout your event.
Enjoy your delicious Jimmy Dean Sausage Dip with Cream Cheese using either the stove top or crock pot method! It's perfect for parties and gatherings.
This is a party-size recipe. You can cut the recipe in half for a smaller crowd.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Savory
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sausage dip, appetizer, cream cheese, game day, party, holiday