The Softest Sugar Cookies!
These sugar cookies are perfectly soft and sweet. With crisp edges, thick centers, and room for lots of decorating frosting and sprinkles, I know you'll love these soft and sweet sugar cookies. There's something spectacular about a simple, yet perfect, soft sugar cookie. This is a classic recipe you don't want to miss! Come back and bake these every season with a different cut out shape!
There are one million sugar cookie dough recipes, but this one is SPECIAL! This recipe comes from my husband's mother and there is a special story with these soft and sweet sugar cookies.
Sugar Cookie Story
Soft and Sweet Sugar cookies with Grandma Sharon
When my mother-in- law was little her favorite memory with her mother was baking these soft and warn sugar cookies and decorating them. They would make the cookies, frost them, and decorate them depending on the holiday season. My sweet mother-in-law has adapted the same tradition with my children and it is now one of their favorite holiday traditions. For every holiday she has different shaped "cut-outs" that fit a theme: Halloween, Christmas, Valentines, Easter, 4th of July, etc. You name it and there is a sugar cookie opportunity! Grandma Sharon and my three children sit and talk as they decorate and make these delicious SUGAR COOKIES. This recipe is memories in the making for you and your loved ones!
Create your own traditions with this Soft Sugar Cookie Recipe
You will be surprised at how easy these sugar cookies come together. With only a few pantry staples and one secret ingredient to make the flavor a little "extra".
ALMOND EXTRACT (the secret weapon!)
Soft and Sweet. Easy and Delicious.
I let go of control and let the kids decorate ALL the cookies :). Making traditions is part of the fun! Can you guess who took that cute bite! I'll give you a hint, it wasn't me this time.
Let's talk frosting!
Sugar cookies are sweet enough that's why I cut the sugar (not the flavor) on this delicious and light frosting. I like the frosting thick so the kids can decorate with it and the sprinkles will stick to it too. It is super easy! Here is what I do:
Simply whip up softened butter, a little almond extract, and powder sugar with a sprinkle of sea salt. Yes, that's it. See the recipe for exact measurements.
Make with LOVE and MANGIA! MANGIA! (EAT!)
More Sweet Recipes:
Jam Filled Mini Pies/Hand Pies (heart shaped)
Made with Amore,
- 1 ¼ cups Softened Butter
- 2 Eggs
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon pure almond extract
- 5 cups All Purpose Flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup Milk (I prefer whole milk)
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ½ teaspoons almond extract
- 1-2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted (make it as sweet as you like)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside
- In a stand mixer (or with hand mixer) beat the softened butter, eggs, sugar, and almond extract. Beat until fluffy.
- In another bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Alternate adding flour and milk to combine with other wet ingredients. Add about one cup of the dry ingredients and a splash of milk at a time until well combined and unified cookie dough forms.
- Chill sugar cookie dough for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Roll out dough onto a floured surface and cut into desired cut-out shapes. Place on cookie sheet about 1 inch apart and bake for 8-10 minutes until the edges are slightly golden. Let rest on cookie sheet for 5 minutes and put on a cookie cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Cream room temperature butter with a hand mixer, the paddle attachment of a stand mixer, or a wooden spoon until smooth and fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until fully incorporated (start with 1 cup of sugar and add more until desired sweetness is acquired for your taste). Beat in almond extract. Pour in milk and beat for an additional 3 to 4 minutes.
Assembly: once cookies are cooled frost and decorate as desired!
You can bake the cookies and store in zip lock bags in the freezer for up to 2 months. When ready to use defrost at room temperature and enjoy plain or frost them and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 40 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Category: Sweet/ Dessert
- Method: American
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sugar cookies, best sugar cookie recipe, soft sugar cookie recipe, soft and delicious sugar cookies, sugar cookie recipe, cookie recipe, soft cookies,