Easy Italian Pear Cake Recipe (Torta di Pere), a simple moist dessert, breakfast or served as an afternoon tea cake. Made with creamy yogurt, luscious butter, and fresh pears this cake will soon become a family favorite!
You will also love these easy and simple cakes Soft Italian Chocolate Cake (torta al ciocolato) , Simple Italian Apple Cake (one bowl), Italian Crumble Cake Pastry Cream Filling.
Why I love this Italian Pear Cake
Italian desserts are made with simple ingredients. They aren't too sweet and make the perfect treat without the guilt. You will rarely see frosting or ice cream served with any true Italian cake. No judgments if you add them to this cake!
At most, there is a dusting of powdered sugar or cacao and a dollop of freshly whipped cream. This cake is fluffy, lightly sweetened, and sure to satisfy any sweet tooth craving. It is a simple and moist dessert that can't be beaten!
Delicious Italian Pear Cake Recipe
It is one of those cakes that make the perfect breakfast cake, or afternoon tea cake. It satisfies any sweet tooth and it is truly one of the best cakes. This old-fashioned favorite Italian pear cake recipe is a great way to enjoy juicy pears. We love it any time of the year. Don't delay and make this cake today!
Besides- who can refuse the tasty combination of creamy yogurt and pears in a soft cake? This lovely cake keeps for a couple of days at room temperature (if it last that long!). Store in the fridge after that.
I recommend using the best quality ingredients for this super simple cake.
- Fresh pears, (I find the best pears are Bosc pears, Anjou pears, or Barlett pears)
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Granulated sugar
- Whole milk yogurt
- Melted butter
- Eggs, room temperature
- Vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- freshly whipped heavy cream, if desired
See the recipe card for quantities.
How to make Easy Italian Pear Cake Recipe
If you want step-by-step photos for this fresh pear cake recipe.
A few key steps make this easy Italian pear cake recipe stand out from the rest!
- The first step in this cake recipe is whipping the eggs and sugar until a thick creamy consistency. I do this with an electric or stand mixer. This step creates a light and airy texture in the final product.
- Next, the melted (and cooled) butter adds a luxurious richness to the cake.
- Finally, the yogurt. You will find many Italian cakes with yogurt. When adding yogurt to cakes it adds an extra soft component without weighing it down too much. As a result, yogurt adds moisture and fat in the cake batter, making the cake extra moist. A cake baked with yogurt is never dry. It's always so soft, moist, and absolutely delicious.
Here is the round 9" spring form pan I love! BUY THIS ONE .
The best Italian Pear Cake Recipe
Thick slices of juicy pear burst through the soft and tender cake. It's a cake you must make! Enjoy the perfect slice for breakfast, dessert, or with a cup of tea.
The first time you make this recipe try the original recipe! The next time you make it you can try one of these variations.
- Gluten-Free Option - If you are making this simple Italian apple cake gluten-free you can use this flour and it will turn out delicious!
- Low-fat yogurt - low-fat dairy products are often filled with "junk" to stabilize the texture. As long as the brand of non-fat yogurt doesn't have any fillers it will work fine. One brand I recommend is Chobani nonfat yogurt as an alternative.
- Brown sugar - I love the idea of doing half-brown sugar and white sugar to add a little extra richness. I've tried this and it changes the taste a bit, but I like it!
- Sour Cream - you can substitute the same amount of sour cream for yogurt in this recipe.
- Warm Spices - This cake is simple and pure without the addition of any spices (I prefer it this way). If you like try adding cinnamon, cardamon, or allspice.
- Lemon juice - add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice to add a zing to the cake and complement the sweetness of the pears.
- Vegetable oil - You can add vegetable oil or any mild flavored oil in place of the butter in this pear cake recipe. You will still achieve a tender crumb. The oil makes the cake a little less dense and airier than when it is made with only butter. I've made it both ways and love them both equally!
You will also love these cake recipes: Italian Olive Oil Cake Orange Honey (easy) and Easy Lemon Yogurt Loaf Cake.
- Try this delicious cake with a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream.
- Add caramel sauce for an extra indulgent twist.
- Make a light cream cheese frosting and spread it over the cooled cake.
- If you want to decorate the cake by adding extra pear slices in a pattern on top of the cake for a pretty presentation.
Any way you make or serve this easy pear cake recipe it is one that everyone is sure to love.
The secret to adding yogurt to cake
What does yogurt do in a cake? Yogurt adds moisture and fat to a cake batter, making the cake moist. A cake baked with yogurt is never dry. It's always so soft, moist, and absolutely delicious.
Another bonus to adding yogurt to cakes is the acidity of the yogurt works with the baking powder to leaven the cake and make it extra tall and super fluffy. You don't taste the yogurt at all! It simply serves as a secret weapon to add moistness and help your cake rise. Adding yogurt to this cake makes it an extra moist and great recipe!
How to serve Italian pear cake
A little dollop of freshly whipped cream goes a long way and adds the perfect touch. In Italy, we don't serve whipped cream with cake, but I thought...why not!
After just one bite you’ll be surprised how distinct the flavors are in this pear cake. We love its soft, tender texture, and the chunks of fresh, sweet pear. It's a cake that will keep you wanting more!
Easy Italian Pear Cake Story
This recipe is adapted from one of my mamma's relatives. When my mother was a teenager she would go visit her relatives in Oristano, a small town in Sardegna.
They had three children the same ages as my mother and her siblings. They lived in a beautiful Italian villa with an orchard of pear trees.
Every summer, my mamma, along with her siblings, visited the family and had the most wonderful time.
In the morning, they would play outside and gather pears from the orchard.
In the afternoon, when the sun blazed and it was too hot outside, the oldest girl taught them how to make this simple pear cake.
The house smelled like a bakery the rest of the afternoon. The cake was always done in time for "merenda" afternoon snack time.
They joked and laughed as they enjoyed a warm slice of pear cake in the small town of Oristano. Doesn't that sound like a dream...
Made with Amore, Elena
Cake pan recommendation
I like to use a springform pan so it is easy to take out the cake. You can use a regular 9.5/10-inch round pan as well. Make sure to let the cake cool completely after baking and before slicing.
It is worth the wait to let the cake set! This cake is even better the next day.
More Delicious Desserts for YOU
Traditional Italian Tiramisù (no alcohol)
Sweet Focaccia with Raspberries and Balsamic Glaze
Easy Almond Sponge Cake with Italian Cream
Make sure to leave a ⭐️star rating on the recipe card and comment below if you make the recipe. I love to connect with you through my recipes.
I would love for you to tag me on Instagram @cucinabyelena so I can see your delicious Italian recipes. To get more ideas, follow me on Pinterest.Print
Easy Italian Pear Cake Recipe (Torta di Pere)
Easy Italian pear cake, a simple moist cake that is perfect for breakfast, dessert, or served as an afternoon tea cake. Made with creamy yogurt, butter, and fresh pears all in one bowl. This cake will be a hit with all your family and friends!
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- 3 large peeled (4 small), firm ripe pears, (Bosc or Barlett), cut into pieces
- 2 cups (240 g) all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons (14 g) baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon (pinch) kosher salt
- 1 ¼ cup (200 g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup whole milk yogurt
- ½ cup (113 g) butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) vanilla extract
- Confectioner sugar for dusting
- freshly whipped heavy cream, if desired
- Line a 9.5-inch round baking pan (springform pan or bundt pan) with parchment paper, or spray with cooking spray.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, whip the sugar and eggs until you obtain a creamy and fluffy texture. You can also use a stand mixer with a large bowl.
- Stir in the yogurt, butter, and vanilla extract. Use a fork or spatula to combine until smooth (not the electric mixer).
- In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Sift the dry ingredients into the wet mixture. Stir gently until well combined. Add the pears and mix gently. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. If the cake starts to brown too much on the top tent the top with foil during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Let the cake cool on a wire rack. Before serving dust the cake with confectioner sugar. If desired, serve with freshly whipped cream, or ice cream.
- I like to use a springform pan
- TOP TIP: Use room temperature ingredients. This will make the cake tall and fluffy.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 50 min
- Category: Sweet/ Dessert
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: pear cake, dessert, Italian cake, easy dessert, pears, yogurt, cake
Loved this cake. We used sour cream instead of the yogurt and it worked great! Thanks for sharing this recipe!
That is a great substitute. Happy you loved it! We love this family recipe.
Mextli Lozano says
Love, love, love this recipe! I’ve made it twice and it’s so perfect! I love that it’s not super sweet but still satisfies my sweet tooth! Very easy to make as well.
Happy you love it! It is a family favorite!
Christina Lopez Robison says
Elena, Your Torta e Pere recipe is delicious, soft and moist. I made it yesterday and had two pieces! I did use oil (sunflower) instead of butter as you said we could and it worked out fine. In so many cakes with fruit inside the fruit flavor can get lost, but not your recipe! You can still taste the pears even though they are a delicate flavor a testimony to your skill and your recipe. I am part Italian but was too young to learn from my grandmother. Making your recipes makes feel closer to her and I thank you for that and this Pear Cake recipe!
Your message touched my heart! One of the missions of my website is to bring people closer to their Italian roots. I hope to bring many more recipes to your cucina. All the best, Elena.
Absolutely delicious! Worked really well using gluten free flour. I’m looking forward to having some for breakfast!
Pear cake for breakfast is the best! Enjoy. Happy it turned out great gluten-free.
This came highly recommended and was absolutely delicious.
Hi Hannah, so happy you loved the recipe. It is a family favorite.
Daniela Goman says
Absolutely delicious and so easy to make! This cake will be one of our deserts at Thanksgiving!
Daniela, what a wonderful Thanksgiving dessert! So happy the family loved it. All the best, Elena
This was one of the most delicious cakes I have ever made! Incredibly moist, buttery, not too sweet...just perfect. Thank you for sharing your recipes. I am looking forward to trying all of them 🙂
Hi Sarah, I am thrilled you love it. It is a special and well-loved recipe. Enjoy all the other delicious recipes as well.
Pooja Bachani says
Would it be possible to make this cake a day ahead?
You can absolutely make it a day ahead of time and store it in an airtight container or cover it with plastic wrap until ready to serve. This cake is even better the day after it is made. Enjoy!
Made this yesterday with pears from my dad’s tree. Used a 10 by 10 square springform so increased the recipe by 50%, which was so easy with weight measurements.
Excellent flavour and texture, my parents loved it and took half home, which is high praise indeed!!!
I love that you made this with your dad's pears from his tree. Happy you all love it!
We love this soft and easy pear cake! It is a favorite in our home.
A winner! Easy to make and is very moist, light and tasty. I added an extra pear as mine were in the small size and used a bigger and deeper cake pan. I shared half with the neighbors and they are it up.
Will make another one tomorrow because have more pears. The full fat yogurt helps with the body of the cake for sure.
So happy you loved it. It is one we make and love all year. I can smell it now...yummm!
It really is EASY and delicious! Major crowd pleaser. I’ve made it several times and it’s always popular and gets requested for dessert regularly! I love it because it’s light and fresh tasting. A must try!
So happy it is a recipe everyone loves. If I am ever in a bind this is the quick cake recipe I make and everyone loves it!
Tess Murdock says
You HAVE HAVE HAVE to make this recipe! After I made this cake one time for my family it is not requested very frequently, My neighbors across the street still talk about it from when I brought it over a year ago, and refer to it as the best cake they have ever had ❤️
It sure is a wonderful cake to bring to friends and family. I am glad they all loved it!
Do you use light or low fat anything when you cook or bake with dairy? Just curious about the benefits of using full fat as far as additives or fillers etc.
I usually use full fat unless it is the Chobani 0%. Most low fat yogurts are filled with junk. I never use flavored yogurts in baking. I hope you love this recipe as much as we do!
Sounds wonderful....do you think I could replace yogurt with sour cream?
It is delicious! It will change the taste, but you can certainly try it. I love the creamy light flavor of whole milk yogurt best. Happy baking! I can't wait to hear how it turns out!