Here is a quick, 20 minute, and tasty creamy (no cream added) orzo pasta made with spinach and parmigiano cheese. It makes a delicious vegetarian dinner and a simple side dish to accompany any meal.
This orzo pasta is completely satisfying and comforting without leaving you feeling heavy. It’s packed with fresh spinach, parmigiano cheese, and just enough lemon zest to tease your taste buds. The simple and fresh ingredients create a delightful marriage of flavors that make this meal easy to love. It is a meal I can eat on a weekly bases. I know you will love it too!
- Olive oil
- Lemon zest
- Orzo pasta
The heart of Italian cooking starts with fresh ingredients and simple ingredients! Here is another recipe with similar flavors you will also enjoy- Tortellini Soup with Spinach and Lemon
Family Friendly Meal
This is an easy family meal that hits the jock-pot time and time again. The kids don’t complain about spinach when it is cooked with creamy parmigiano and orzo!
What do we Call Orzo Pasta in Italy?
Rossini. Orzo, also known as ‘Rossini’ is a pasta traditionally used in Italian wedding soup. Orzo actually means “Barley” in Italian because the pasta resembles an unprocessed grain of barley.
This dinner has a guaranteed spot on your recurring weekly meal plan. Add it to your list ASAP!
Made with Amore, Elena
From my Cucina to your Table, Mangia! Mangia! (Eat!)
More delicious recipes for you…Print
This orzo pasta is creamy, healthy, and comforting. It’s packed with fresh spinach, parmigiano cheese, and just enough lemon zest to tease your taste buds. The simple and fresh ingredients create a delightful marriage of flavors that make this meal easy to love. It is a meal I can eat on a weekly bases. I know you will love it too!
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 pound dried orzo pasta (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Bring a medium pot of water to a roaring boil and season with salt. Add orzo and cook until al dente directions.
- Heat oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet pan over medium-high heat until butter is barely melted. Add the onion and sauté until softened and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the spinach and garlic then season with salt and pepper. Stir often and cook about 5-8 minutes until spinach is tender. Turn heat to low temperature.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of pasta water. Drain pasta and add to pan with spinach and onion. Add pasta water and remaining butter. Stir for about one minutes on low heat letting the butter, pasta, and spinach combine. Add the parmigiano cheese* and lemon zest. Stir to combine. Top with more cheese for garnish and serve hot! Mangia (Eat!)
* If you do not use real freshly grated parmigiano cheese your sauce may be lumpy as the cheese will not melt to create a smooth sauce.
Keywords: pasta, orzo, spinach, easy meal, parmigiano, lemon, side dish, Italian recipe, main meal