Easy and delicious Italian cheese tortellini en brodo (in broth) with spinach and fresh lemon! Ready in under 15 minutes! This soup will warm you up from the inside out!
Here is a simple version of this recipe: Tortellini en Brodo- a Christmas Eve Tradition. If you want a more summery dish try this one: Easy Italian Tortellini Pasta Salad (Vegetarian).
Tortellini in broth soup provides the nutrients you need to stay healthy this winter. I sneak in plenty of lemon, garlic, and fresh spinach to boost your immune system this winter. My family loves this meal- kids included. It is very easy to make and provides loads of comfort on those dark winter nights.
You will love the simplicity of this easy cheese tortellini in broth soup recipe.
- Chicken or vegetable broth
- Three cheese tortellini (or your favorite variety)
- Lemon juice (extra slices for serving)
- Thyme leaves
- Sage leaves
- Fresh leaf spinach
- Parmigiano cheese
If you love spinach and lemon try this easy and comforting Creamy Spinach and Lemon Orzo.
What does Tortellini en Brodo mean in Italian?
It simply means tortellini served in broth, in Italian. In Italy we make this kind of soup all winter. It is well loved for a reason. It represent the simplicity of Italian cooking. That splash of lemon in the broth adds a touch of sunshine and brightness to the simple soup.
Switch up the flavors in this cheese tortellini in broth soup by changing the flavors of the tortellini and broth.
- Spinach and cheese tortellini
- Mushroom tortellini
- Beef tortellini
- Beef stock to add depth
- Splash of cream to make it richer
- Cooked meats such as chicken or ground sausage
- More veggies such as carrots and celery
If you like soups packed with vegetables try these: Tuscan Ribollita- Vegetable Bread Soup, or Classic Italian Minestrone Soup.
What to serve with Tortellini Soup
In Italy, we serve this with warm bread! Try one of these homemade varieties: Softest No-Knead Bread, No Knead Italian Focaccia Bread, Fast Italian No Knead Ciabatta Bread.
Make sure to try this tortellini recipe next time Tortellini Alla Panna with Peas.
Cozy up with this comforting bowl of tortellini soup and feel good about taking a moment to relax.
More Delicious recipes for you!
- Pasta e Ceci (Italian Pasta with Chickpea Soup)
- Tuscan Ribollita- Vegetable Bread Soup
- Pork Tenderloin with Shallots and Fennel
- BEST Italian Beef Short Rib Ragu
This yummy bowl of soup is light and flavorful. It's the perfect no-fuss weeknight meal for a busy day.Print
Easy Cheese Tortellini in Broth with Spinach
This tortellini soup is under 15 minutes to make and will warm you up from the inside out!. It provides the nutrients you need to stay healthy this winter. I sneak in plenty of lemon, garlic, and fresh spinach to boost your immune system this winter. This yummy bowl of soup is light and flavorful. It's the perfect no fuss weeknight meal for a busy day.
- Total Time: 15 min
- Yield: 6 1x
- 1 carton (32 fluid oz) organic chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 (20 oz) package three cheese tortellini (or your favorite variety)
- 3 Tbs fresh lemon juice (extra slices for serving)
- ½ tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 3 leaves fresh sage, finely minced
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, cut in quarters
- 2 cups fresh leaf spinach
- ½ cup parmigiano cheese, shredded, for serving
- 4 slices lemon, garnish
- Place broth, spinach, lemon juice, thyme, sage, and garlic in a medium soup pot, bring to a boil
- Cook tortellini according to package directions
- Serve in individual bowls. Top with fresh grated parmigiano and extra lemon slices. Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Category: Savory
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Leroi Johnson says
A bit unclear whether the tortellini can cook in the broth or shoukd be boiled separately and added later.
In the broth is best 🙂
Chelle TatiannaMenendez says
The Tortellini was a hit, the whole family loved it! I’m not usually one to follow recipes, but I love Italy and the recipes from Mamma Mia Mangia are so simple and delicious bringing a little Italy to the table.
Chelle, I am so happy you loved the recipe! Bringing a little bit of Italy to your table is my greatest desire!