Chopped fresh tomatoes, basil, and garlic, then mix together with good quality olive oil then toss with pasta and Mangia!
In Italian "salsa fresca" means fresh tomato sauce. This is an easy summer recipe you will make every season with any variety of your fresh garden tomatoes. The juicy ripe tomatoes get a bath in luxurious olive oil, basil and garlic creating the most delicious sauce to coat your pasta. Enjoy this dish warm or cold. It's one of those recipes that tastes even better the next day. This meal comes together quickly and makes for an easy and tasty summer dinner recipe.
I call this sauce- "KISS". Keep It Simple Sauce. Let the fragrant flavors of the fresh quality ingredients shine without over seasoning or over doing. That is the beauty of simple, rustic, and fresh, Italian recipes. Once you try it you will kiss this "KISS" sauce too! Enjoy!
What can I do with all my garden tomatoes?
Make this fresh and authentic Italian Salsa Fresca! It is fresh, light, and bright. Perfect for summer and early fall with all the vine ripe tomatoes. This dish is the bright colors of Italy in a bowl!
What tomatoes are BEST for Salsa Fresca (fresh tomato sauce)?
Any ripe, fragrant, juicy tomato will do for this recipe. The juices of the tomatoes will create a delicious sauce when mixed with the olive oil. It is a simple meal that requires only a few ingredients to let the fresh in season tomatoes shine.
Some TOMATO varieties are listed:
- Cherry tomatoes of any kind (simply cut in half)
Really, any tomatoes that are ripe, sweet, and not mushy or tasteless :).
Great Basic Extra Virgin Olive Oil for This Recipe COLAVITA
If you make this recipe please write a comment to tell me your thoughts! I want to connect with all of you through your experience with my recipes.
From my Cucina to Your Table. Mangia! Mangia! (Eat!)
Made with Amore, Elena
More Recipes for YOUPrint
- 2 pints (560 grams) tomatoes (cherry, roma, garden, or heirloom variety), diced
- 2 cloves garlic, slivered
- ¼ cup fresh basil, torn by hand
- ½ cup good quality olive oil
- 1 package (454 grams) good quality pasta
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Salt for cooking pasta
- In a large serving bowl combine the tomatoes, basil, garlic, and olive oil. Stir to combine, Cover with plastic wrap and leave on the counter for 30 min and up to 2 hour.
- Bring a large pot of water to salted water to boil. Salt pasta water generously (about 10 grams of salt per liter of water). Cook pasta according to package until 'al dente'. Add salt and pepper to the tomatoes right before serving.
- Drain pasta and toss with the marinated tomatoes. Serve warm or cold. Great as leftovers!
- Prep Time: 10 min (+1 hour marinade time) )
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Savory
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: pasta, tomato, basil, olive oil, easy dinner, pasta dinner, main dish