Vegetarian stuffed zucchini (zucchine ripiene) are one of the most classic Italian ways to eat zucchini. Essentially, they are twice baked zucchini.
These little bites are mild, tender, flavorful, and packed with delicious zucchini, onion, and olive oil flavor. I usually gobble up one or two right out of the oven. They pop in your mouth and are highly addictive! Yes, this recipe will make you crave zucchini in the best way. The zucchini are cooked two ways. Once the interior is removed it is sautéed with onions until perfectly tender. The mixture is then combined with an egg, bread crumbs, and freshly grated parmigiano. The shells of the zucchini are fried and then stuffed with the zucchini mixture and baked. They are topped with loads of parmigiano and bread crumbs to create the most delicious golden brown topping. These make a perfect side dish, appetizer, or light dinner with a salad and delicious bread. If you love zucchini, run and make this recipe! Share with Amore!
Another delicious Italian Zucchini Recipe is Sautéed Zucchini and Onion
If you are thinking, “really? Stuffed Zucchini? Why all this hype?” Make them and realize why they are little golden nuggets of superior flavor.
Process for Making the Stuffed Zucchini Recipe
With a little tender love and care you will be glad you spent the extra 10 minutes prep time to make this delicious Italian zucchini recipe.
More than Zucchini… A Story about Zucchine Ripiene…
These little golden nuggets are a treasured family recipe. You know the ones that people talk about all year long? A recipe that sticks in your heart as much as it does your belly? This is one of those. I remember begging Nonna Laura to make them more than once a week. Finally, she said, “you need to learn to make them yourself”. So, I did, as well, as all my sister and cousins. We make them often and feel connected though this recipe that she brought to us with her special way of bringing people to the table with delicious food.
The heart of Italian cooking is simplicity. Don’t mistake the short ingredient list for lacking taste or flavor. In fact, it is the humble simple dishes that are most treasured and remembered. When these are baking in the oven I can smell that familiar aroma from a mile away. I’m transported to our beach home in Italy where we ate these all summer long. My sister, cousins, and I would fight over every last one! We would sneak into the kitchen even before the meal was ready and steal one in secret. Yes, we fought over these little stuffed zucchini’s, as silly as that might seem! Once you try them you will see how they really are worth the fight.
Made with Amore, Elena
More Delicious Recipes for YOUPrint
Vegetarian stuffed zucchini (zucchine ripiene) are one of the most classic Italian ways to eat zucchini. These little bites are mild, tender, flavorful, and packed with delicious zucchini, onion, and olive oil flavor. I usually gobble up one or two right out of the oven. They pop in your mouth and are highly addictive! Yes, this recipe will make you crave zucchini in the best way. These make a perfect side dish, appetizer, or light dinner with a salad and delicious bread. If you love zucchini, run and make this recipe. Share with Amore!
- 4 large zucchini (it helps if they are thick in diameter)
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, more for topping
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs (unflavored), more for topping
- 3 tablespoons parmigiano, finely grated, more for topping
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Wash zucchini. Cut ends and discard. Cut zucchini into 2 inch (5 cm) pieces. With a melon cuter or knife carve out the white flesh of the zucchini. Creating a hole still leaving enough at the bottom to hold the filling. Save the zucchini shells for later. In a large skillet pan heat 1 tbs olive oil on medium heat. Add onion and interior flesh of the zucchini. Cook 8 minutes until soft and golden brown. Set aside and let cool in pan.
- Meanwhile, in a small pot, add reaming olive oil and heat on high. Fry the zucchini on all sides about 6-8 minutes total. Remove from oil onto a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Once the zucchini mixture in pan is cooled; add- egg, parmigiano, breadcrumbs, and season with salt and pepper. Mix well with a fork until well combined. Drizzle an oven safe baking dish with olive oil. Place the fried zucchini shells in the dish. Spoon the mixture into the zucchini shells until the tops are filled. Sprinkle the tops generously with parmigiano and bread crumbs. drizzle with olive oil and bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes until tops are golden brown.
Keywords: zucchini, onion, dinner, side dish, savory, Italian, vegetarian recipe, stuffed zucchini