These Italian zucchini fritters are an easy recipe that is sure to become one of your favorite appetizers! They are made with a few simple and fresh ingredients. Dip them in whipped ricotta and- trust me, you can't stop at one!
The Italian word for zucchini fritters is "frittelle di zucchine". They are like little zucchini pancakes packed with zucchini and the perfect balance of cheese and herbs. You will love these zucchini fritters with Italian Sausage and Peppers and Homemade Bread!
Why I love Italian Zucchini Fritters
I love zucchini! It reminds me of summers in Sardegna, Italy when nonna Laura made Italian Stuffed Zucchini (vegetarian) and Sautéed Zucchini and Onion (Italian Recipe). She made them first thing in the morning, so we could have them after a long morning at the beach.
If you have zucchini growing in your garden and you need a fantastic recipe you will love this one!
This recipe is perfect for big homegrown over-sized zucchini as well as smaller zucchini you can buy at the grocery store. In case you also have peppers in your garden make sure to try: Pickled Italian Vinegar Peppers Recipe. Try this recipe for green beans- Italian Flat Green Beans Recipe (with Tomatoes and Garlic).
You probably have everything in your pantry and fridge to make these easy zucchini fritters. The fritter batter has only a few simple ingredients and is packed with flavor.
- Parmigiano cheese (parmesan cheese)
- Fresh Herbs (basil, parsley, oregano, thyme)
- All purpose flour (gluten free flour)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil for frying
See recipe card for quantities.
How to make Italian Zucchini Fritters
The process is simple and requires minimal effort. The hardest part is straining the water of the zucchini. The rest is similar to making a pancake and frying it on a pan.
Using the large holes of a box grater, grate the zucchini. Toss with about 1 teaspoon of salt and transfer to a colander set over a medium bowl. The salt will help draw out some of this moisture. Wait 30 minutes, then squeeze excess moisture with hands or a clean dish cloth.
Combined zucchini fritter mixture.
In a large bowl, lightly whisk eggs, fresh herbs, garlic, the grated and drained zucchini, and cheese. Salt and pepper to taste. Combine until well incorporated.
Over medium-high heat, in a large skillet pan, drizzle about 2 tablespoons of olive oil. When hot, add 3 heaping tablespoon of batter and flatten slightly with the back of a spoon to shape the zucchini fritter.
Hint: Make sure the oil is very hot before adding the zucchini, so it won't stick to the pan.
Cook for about 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate or a wire rack and repeat this process with the rest of the batter.
This recipe is amazing and traditional with the zucchini! You can substitute the zucchini for fresh baby spinach and make spinach fritters. You would need to blanch the spinach and strain it like in this recipe.
Make the Italian zucchini fritters as the recipe states the first time and try these additions the next time you make them.
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes into the zucchini batter to kick it up a notch.
- Deluxe - add a little crispy bacon to the zucchini batter to add crunch and an extra protien boost.
- Cheesy- add a little freshly grated mozzarella cheese to make it extra cheesy and create a fun cheese pull as you bite into these delicious fritters.
Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters
Make the zucchini fritters in an air fryer- cooking them at 400 degrees for about 10-12 minutes and flipping half way through cooking.
What to serve with Italian Zucchini Fritters
These make the perfect appetizer for any summer meal (or any time of year!). They are great for parties. Super easy to transport if you are in charge of bringing the appetizer! Serve with any variety of pasta dishes or meats and fish.
Store any leftover fritters in the fridge in an air tight container. They will keep for about 4-5 days. You can reheat them in the oven, microwave, or eat them cold!
Yes, you can freeze them! Let them cool completely then place them in a freezer safe bag or air tight container. They will keep up to 2 months in the freezer if properly stored. They can be re-heated in the oven, microwave or in a frying pan, or air fryer.
The key to getting these Italian Zucchini Fritters good and crispy is to get as much of the moisture out as possible. Zucchini are 95% water, if you skip the step to remove the extra liquid you will get mushy fritters.
More zucchini recipes for you
- BEST Zucchini Muffins Cinnamon Sugar
- Shredded Zucchini and Cheese Pasta (easy)
- Baked Zucchini and Tomato Bruschetta
- Paccheri Pasta Zucchini Tomatoes Crème Fraîche
Did you know that zucchini is 95% water? That is why we need to remove the extra liquid before cooking or frying.
- Grate the zucchini then squeeze zucchini well to remove as much liquid as possible. This will make sure your zucchini fritters aren't watery.
- Make sure pan is hot and do not overcrowd the pan for crispy fritters.
- Keeping warm - when cooking in multiple batches, place finished fritters in a low temp oven (170f) to keep warm while attending to subsequent batches.
Make sure to leave a ⭐️star rating on the recipe card and comment below if you make the recipe. I love to connect with you through my recipes.Print
For the zucchini fritters
- 2 pounds zucchini washed and grated and tossed in a bowl with 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian herbs basil, parsley, rosemary, oregano, etc
- ⅓ cup unbleached all-purpose flour (use gluten-free all-purpose flour)
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Olive Oil for frying
For the fritters
- Using the large holes of a box grater, grate the zucchini. Toss with about 1 teaspoon of salt and transfer to a colander set over a medium bowl. The salt will help draw out some of this moisture. Wait 30 minutes, then squeeze excess moisture with hands or a clean dish cloth.
- Place zucchini in a large bowl. Stir in the eggs, garlic, and herbs. Then stir in the flour, and cheeses
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot drop about 3 heaping tablespoons of batter per fritter in the skillet and fry on both sides until nicely browned. Place the fried fritters on paper towels to drain.
- Serve immediately while crispy. Serve with a whipped ricotta cheese or a dollop of sour cream and a sprig of fresh herb for garnish.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Savory
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: zucchini fritters, vegetarian, appetizer, zucchini cakes, easy recipe