Delicious Pasta with Smoked Salmon, Mascarpone Cream, and Petite Peas
An Easy Meal you will make often!
This dish may sound fancy until you see it takes about 30 minutes to prepare! I love the convenience of a good quality smoked salmon. The smokey flavor adds a special dimension to this dish that makes it irresistible. The creamy mascarpone sauce is made by combining mascarpone cheese, parmigiano, heavy cream, and lemon juice and zest. The result is a light and creamy sauce that coats the pasta and salmon in the most delicious way. I add the sweet petite peas to add a pop of green and incorporate some nutritious color in the dish. It is a one stop meal that fills your tummy and tastebuds with a little happy dance.
Smoked Salmon Varieties
You can use different kinds of smoked salmon varieties depending on what you prefer. Here are a few varieties that you can use.
King Salmon/ Chinook, also called the spring or king salmon, with ivory white to deep red flesh. Also called Canadian King Salmon.
Chum: Their flesh ranges from pale to medium red in color. These are the least common of the Pacific species of salmon.
Coho (Silver): Coho, or silver salmon, is known for its red color flesh.
Sockeye (red): Sockeye, also known as red salmon (and also sometimes labeled Nova, after the style used in its smoking process), has a bright and deep red-orange, firm flesh.
Pink: most common of the North American Pacific salmon. It has a light-colored flesh, and a delicate taste, with a low fat content.
Enjoy this meal with loved ones around your table. From my cucina (kitchen) to your table.
Made with Amore,
I used a fun “rotelle”or wheel shaped pasta as it soaks up all the delicious sauce and my children enjoy the texture. You can certainly use any variety that suits you best. You can any pasta variety. I think bow tie pasta would be super fun and delicious.
If you want to learn more about what pasta shapes go best with what sauce and why good quality pasta matter read this post Pasta Quality Matters: Cheap vs. Expensive Pasta.
More Delicious Pasta Recipes
This dish may sound fancy until you see it takes about 30 minutes to prepare! The creamy mascarpone sauce is made by combining mascarpone cheese, parmigiano, heavy cream, and lemon juice and zest. The result is a light and creamy sauce that coats the pasta and salmon in the most delicious way. The petite peas add color and added nutrition!
- 8.8 oz (250 gr.) Mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup (50 g) Parmigiano cheese
- 1/3 (80 g) cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Zest of one lemon
- 6 oz smoked salmon, variety of choice
- 1 lbs (454 g) pasta, variety of choice
- 1/3 cup (45 g) of petite green peas, frozen
- pepper to taste
- 2 Tbs kosher salt for pasta water
- Boil water in a large pot. To make sure pasta doesn’t stick together, use at least 4 quarts of water for every pound of pasta. After water boils add the salt.
- In a large size mixing bowl add: mascarpone cheese, parmigiano, lemon juice, lemon zest, and heavy cream. Whisk until combined and creamy. Set aside.
- Cut the smoked salmon into large chunks. Set aside.
- Boil pasta according to package directions.
- When there is 5 minutes left in cooking the pasta -add the peas to the boiling water. Taste pasta before straining to make sure ‘al dente’.
- Strain pasta and peas. Mix right into the bowl with prepared mascarpone cream mixture. Stir to combine.
- Add the smoked salmon and stir again.
- The sauce will seem runny at first. It will take about 5-8 minutes for the hot pasta to thicken it.
- If desired: Garnish with sliced lemons and fresh ground pepper
Delicious as leftovers!
Keywords: smoked salmon, pasta, mascarpone cheese, petite peas, 30 minute meal, easy dinner, Italian pasta