- 24 smaller clams or 12 large clams, scrubbed clean
- 1 cup bottled clam juice
- 1 1/2 cups plain breadcrumbs or panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup freshly grated pecorino romano cheese or parmigiano cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl filled with water scrub and clean clams. Open the clams and loosen the muscle underneath the clam meat. Discard the top shell and leave the clam and its juice in the bottom shell.
- Place clams in a single layer in a baking dish, casserole dish, or lined baking sheet. Spoon about 2-3 teaspoons of clam juice over each one. It’s fine if the juice spills over.
- Combine the breadcrumbs, cheese, parsley, garlic, oregano, salt, and black pepper in a bowl. Add the olive oil and lemon juice and stir until the mixture is evenly moistened.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the breadcrumb mixture onto the top of each clam, packing it down with your fingers.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until the breadcrumbs are golden brown, and the clams are cooked. Do not bake.
- Garnish with fresh parsley. Serve hot with lemon wedges on the side.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Savory
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: clams, stuffed clams, Christmas Eve, appetizer, seafood