- 1 lb (454 grams) pasta of choice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 can (28 oz) tomato puree
- 1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup parmigiano (more for serving)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil torn by hands (more for garnish)
- Optional (red pepper flakes for serving)
- Salt (for pasta water)
Heat olive oil in large skillet pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 5 minutes or until onions are soft and translucent, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
Pour in tomato puree and tomato paste. Stir well to combine. Add salt and bring to a soft boil, then lower heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente texture.
- Add cream, parmigiano cheese, and fresh basil to the creamy tomato sauce. Stir to combine. Let bubble a few minutes on low heat. Turn off heat. Take pan off stovetop.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of pasta water and drain pasta. Add the cooked pasta to the skillet with the reserved pasta water. Stir until well combined.
- Serve with extra parmigiano cheese, red pepper flakes (if deserved), and a few fresh basil leaves. Mangia! (Eat!)
- The sauce can be made a few days ahead and kept in an airtight container in the fridge. When ready to serve, heat on stove and add freshly cooked pasta.
- Leftovers can be warmed, covered, in the microwave. Add 1-2 tablespoons of milk or hot pasta water to loosen up the pasta if needed.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Savory
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: pasta, carbonara, pasta pink sauce, Italian cream tomato sauce, easy dinner, easy meal, authentic Italian, salsa rosa