BEST Italian Stuffed Chicken Thighs (called involtini di pollo in Italian) is your next chicken recipe ELEVATED!
These tender and flavorful seared stuffed chicken thighs are filled with mascarpone cheese and sliced meat of your choice, such as, ham, prosciutto or mortadella.
A chicken dinner that brings everyone to the table! If you love easy chicken recipes, try these: Tastiest Sage Garlic Honey Lemon Grilled Chicken, Chicken Skillet Creamy Chive Mascarpone Sauce, Pollo Asado Recipe (Chipotle Copycat), or Creamy Parmigiano Herb and Mushroom Chicken.
Best Italian Stuffed Chicken Thighs
The savory sauce and moist chicken is a dish EVERYONE WILL LOVE! The next time you think about making chicken- add these delectable stuffed chicken thighs to the menu. Did I mention the herby truffle oil sauce?
- Chicken thighs
- Olive oil
- Mascarpone cheese
- Bread crumbs, unflavored
- Truffle oil (or other flavored oil)
- Dried sage leaf, minced
- White wine
- Chicken broth
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Why use Chicken Thighs?
Chicken thighs are celebrated for their tenderness and flavor, while chicken breasts (white meat taken from the front of the bird) are praised for their lean meat and low fat content.
Thighs are easier to cook, since they don't dry out as easily as breasts and are more affordable. Using chicken thighs in this recipe adds tender meat and rich flavor. You can also make these with chicken breast.
How to Stuff Chicken Thighs (with Photos)
Start by cutting open your chicken thighs and laying them flat on a clean surface.
Then, mix the mascarpone with truffle oil and sage to infuse a rich and earthy flavor into the chicken.
The mascarpone essentially melts into the chicken and creates the most delicious sauce.
To finish, roll up the open chicken thighs and secure with kitchen twine. If you want to secure them even more, add a toothpick in the middle.
Mascarpone Cheese Filling
Traditional stuffed chicken uses sliced cheese. Not this recipe! Wait until you try spreading a layer of creamy mascarpone.
I wish I could jump into your home and make this with you! It is the tastiest chicken recipe.
If you don't have truffle oil to mix with the mascarpone substitute with another flavored olive oil or skip the extra flavor and add regular olive oil!
In the photo above the chicken and mascarpone is layered with a slice of meat before rolling up and securing it with cooking twine. Here are some options for the sliced meat:
- Smoked Ham
Try it with different meats and see what you like best! You really can't go wrong with any of the above ideas. Maybe you have another one you want to try? Either way, make this recipe ASAP!
These delicious stuffed chicken thighs make the perfect main meal. Here are some sides to accompany this dish: Italian Salad Pears, Walnuts, and Gorgonzola, Easy Creamy Saffron Sauce with Pasta, Oven Roasted Potatoes (Italian Style), Simple Petite Peas (Side Dish), or Shredded Zucchini and Cheese Pasta (easy).
This recipe makes a big batch. Since they require a little more effort upfront I like to make more and then have them as leftovers or freeze and heat at a later time.
More Delicious Recipes for YOU
From my Cucina to Your Table. Mangia! Mangia! (Eat!) Made with Amore, Elena
Looking for more delicious Italian summer recipes? Find ideas here: 29 BEST Italian Inspired Summer Recipes.Print
- 12 chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, smashed flat with the side of a knife
- 1 cup (120g) mascarpone cheese
- 1 tablespoon of bread crumbs, unflavored
- ½ teaspoon truffle oil (or other flavored oil)
- 1 teaspoon fresh or dried sage leaf, minced
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ cup chicken broth
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Toothpicks and Kitchen Twine (not edible and used for securing chicken rolls)
- In a small mixing bowl add the mascarpone, bread crumbs, salt and pepper, sage leaf, and truffle oil. Mix until smooth. Set aside.
- Dry chicken thighs with paper towel. Place chicken thighs flat on a cutting board and spread open. Spoon about 1 teaspoon of mascarpone filling and spread across each chicken thigh.
- Add one slice of meat of choice to each chicken thigh. Roll up each chicken thigh and secure on both ends with kitchen twine (about 4-6 inches of twine per side).
- Secure even more with a toothpick through the middle of the roll. Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large skillet heat on medium high heat add olive oil and garlic. Add chicken rolls to pan and brown on both sides about 3-5 minutes per side.
- Take the meat out of pan and place on a plate, temporarily. Deglaze the pan by adding the chicken broth and white wine.
- Scrape the bottom of the pan and let it simmer on low for about 10 minutes. Add chicken back to the pan and cover with a lid. Cook on low heat for about 10 minutes until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees F.
- Remove kitchen twine and toothpicks before serving!
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: Savory
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: chicken, chicken dinner, easy dinner, fried chicken, pan fried chicken, skillet chicken, dinner tonight, main meal, chicken recipe, main dish, stuffed chicken, mascarpone