This Simple Italian Artichoke Soup is hearty and heavenly in taste and texture. It is simple to make and full of flavor. Serve it as a side dish, or appetizer, or make it your light and healthy meal. It is ready in just 30-minutes!
Try more Italian soup recipes: Pasta e Ceci (Italian Pasta with Chickpea Soup), Italian Pastina Soup Recipe (with Chicken broth), Tuscan Ribollita- Vegetable Bread Soup, Pasta e Ceci (Italian Pasta with Chickpea Soup), and Classic Italian Minestrone Soup.
Simple Italian Artichoke Soup
Artichoke soup, sometimes called Zuppa Di Carciofi, is a light and flavorful, broth-based Italian soup.
You will love this simple artichoke soup recipe is creamy, without using cream, and still has enough pieces of the artichoke to create a little texture.
The fresh herbs add an earthy balance to complement the artichokes. Add a little drizzle of olive oil at the end and enjoy it with guests and family all year long.
The mild and subtle flavor of artichoke and herbs will have you craving this after the first try.
You will also love No Potato Leek Soup Recipe (Creamy and Easy).
- Extra-virgin olive oil (more for serving)
- Onion, chopped
- Garlic, minced
- Fresh or dried thyme
- Fresh or dried rosemary
- Shallot, minced
- Potato, peeled and chopped
- Package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
- Vegetable or chicken stock
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Parsley for garnish
Naturally Gluten and Dairy Free
In our Italian home, we love artichokes! This simple soup highlights the fresh flavors and is light and fresh. This artichoke soup recipe is naturally gluten and dairy free for anyone with those dietary restrictions!
Using Frozen Artichokes to Make Artichoke Soup
Since boiling and preparing artichokes is a hefty task and takes a lot of time I am cutting a corner and using frozen artichokes.
If I am going to go through all the trouble of preparing an artichoke I would rather enjoy it fresh rather than turn it into a soup.
By nature, frozen artichokes are a tad more acidic since there is a citric acid to preserve freshness.
You won't taste that a bit in this recipe with the added herbs, olive oil, and vegetable stock.
I like to buy mine at Trader Joe's they are only a few cents more than a single fresh artichoke and take way less time to prep. Most grocery stores carry frozen artichokes in the vegetable freezer section.
Finishing touches for Italian Artichoke Soup
Adding a touch of olive oil at the end will give the soup a deliciously sweet aromatic flavor. When adding olive oil in this way it is important that the olive oil is good quality.
Here are a couple of oils that you can purchase online if you aren't familiar with high-quality olive oils. Look for "cold pressed" as a general rule.
These are bigger brand names. If you have a local olive oil dispensary near you- go check them out and support local!
This soup is so light and refreshing that it makes a great year-round soup recipe. This soup pairs beautifully with BEST Breaded Chicken Cutlets (Italian), Dad's Famous Dry Rub Pork Ribs (EASY), or this delicious Salmon Piccata recipe.
Adding a lean protein source along with this soup, you have a quick and easy well-rounded meal.
An Italian salad, like Italian Salad with Pears, Walnuts, and Gorgonzola, would be delicious too.
More Delicious Recipes for YOU
Made with Amore,
Artichoke soup, sometimes called Zuppa Di Carciofi, is a light and flavorful, broth-based Italian soup, made with artichokes. You will love this Simple Artichoke Soup recipe!
Make sure to leave a ⭐️star rating on the recipe card and comment below if you make the recipe. I love to connect with you through my recipes.Print
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (more for serving)
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh or dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh or dried rosemary
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 small potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup of parsley for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a heavy, large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, shallot, and the garlic and stir. Add the potatoes and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the artichokes, 2 cups of the stock (reserve 1 cup), herbs, salt, and pepper and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Using a handheld immersion blender, or in a blender in batches*, puree the soup. Add more of the stock as you blend the vegetables. Keep blending and use remaining stock.
- At this point you can blend until you reach your desired consistency. I like mine a little chunky to taste piece of artichoke. You can keep blending until it is more smooth if you desire.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil, a few springs of parsley, and toasted bread.
* if using a blender make sure the soup cools for at least 15 minutes before blending
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: Savory
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: soup, healthy, Italian recipe, artichoke soup, artichoke, vegetarian, dinner, lunch, potatoes, olive oil, shallots, garlic,