Orange Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup good quality olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice + zest of one orange
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt (more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic cut in quarters
- 2 bags (510 g) Italian lettuce mix or spring greens
- 2 medium oranges, skin removed and cut in thin slices (see notes)
- 4 tablespoons hazelnuts
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly slices
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup olives of choice- I love green Castelvetrano Olives
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced (optional)
Citrus and Honey Vinaigrette
- Place all ingredients in a Mason jar and shake vigorously. The dressing can stay at room temperature for up to two hours and up to one week in the refrigerator.
- 1. In a large salad bowl or plater add the mixed salad. Add the rest of the ingredients on top of the salad. Do not toss.
- 2. Add all of the prepared dressing on evenly on top of the salad 10 minute before serving. Do not toss or all the ingredients will fall to the bottom. The dressing will eventually coat the bottom of the salad as it sinks. The salad will toss naturally as it is served. Mangia!
Tips for cutting the oranges for the salad. I use a serrated knife and cut off the top and bottom of the orange so it can stand flat. Then, take off the peel by slicing from the top to the bottom following the curve of the fruit. Take off only the peel and the white pith, as much as you can see leaving the flesh naked, then turn the fruit on its' side and carefully slice crosswise. That's it!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: N/A
- Category: Savory
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: salad, side dish, hazelnuts, citrus dressing, Italian salad, salad recipe, orange, fennel