- 3 cups granulated sugar, (1/2 cup more for rolling cookies)
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups shortening
- 1/2 cup milk, room temperature 70 degreed F
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 6 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Prepare a small bowl with the extra 1/2 cup sugar for rolling the cookie dough and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together the eggs, 3 cups sugar, and shortening until pale yellow and fluffy
- In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternating with the milk and molasses. Mix together until well combined.
- With a small cookie scoop or tablespoon roll dough into balls. about 1 inch in diameter. Roll dough in a small bowl of granulated sugar. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Repeat until all the cookie batter is gone. See Notes for storing cookies.
- How long can I freeze these cinnamon snap cookies? You can freeze them in an airtight container with freezer paper between layers of cookies. Be sure they are completely cooled before storing. They will store nicely for up to 2 months. This is a great cookie to make in advance.
- Do I have to refrigerate the cookies? No, you do not. You can store these in an airtight container at room temperature for about a week.
- Can I store the cookie dough? Yes, wrap the dough tightly and you can store it in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. You can then remove the dough, let it come to room temperature, roll out, cut and bake.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 10-12 minutes
- Category: Sweet
- Method: American
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: molasses cookie, cookie, cinnamon cookie, old fashioned cookie, molasses