Soft Almond Sponge Cake with Italian Pastry Cream an Berries
EASY one bowl almond cake that bakes in 15 minutes! The texture of this cake is light and fluffy with a sweet almond flavor. In Italy we call this type of dessert “crostata morbida” or “soft crust pie”. A crostata is an open-faced fruit tart with a variety of fillings. Typically the crust has a harder crumb like a biscuit cookie. This crostata is soft and resembles a sponge cake. The sponge cake bounces back it is so delicate! I love any dessert with almond flavoring. It adds an unexpected depth that makes it unique. This almond cake is filled with our famous Italian Pastry Cream (Crema Pasticcera) Recipe and topped with loads of fresh fruit. It is perfect for this season! I am sure you will be the favorite if you show up with this dessert in hand the next time you are invited to dinner.
Recommended Pan for this Cream Filled Sponge Cake
Here is the pan I use to achieve the space in the middle to add room for the filling. This pan is great if you like to bake desserts with a pre-baked crust with filling. I highly recommend buying one since you can use it for different desserts. If you want to make the sponge cake without this pan use a standard 9 or 11 inch round cake or tart pan. You can serve the cream and berries on the side or on top. It won’t look as pretty, but it will still taste DELICIOUS.
Purchase the Formed Pan. Made in Germany.
Easy One Bowl Cake Recipe
There are only a few pantry staples for this simple almond cake recipe. It easily mixes together in one bowl and only requires 16 minutes of baking time.
What Fruits Pair well with this Almond Cake?
I love fresh berries, such as raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, and blueberries, with this cake in the summer time! The sky is the limit as far as variations of fruit you can add on top. You can try:
Find a seasonal fruit that you love and add try it! I would not recommend hard fruits such as apples.
From My Cucina to Your Table. Mangia! Mangia! (Eat!)
Made with Amore, Elena
More Delicious Desserts for YOUPrint
The texture of this cake is light and fluffy with a sweet almond flavor. The sponge cake bounces back it is so delicate! I love any dessert with almond flavoring. It adds an unexpected depth that makes it unique. This almond cake is filled with our famous Italian Pastry Cream and topped with loads of fresh fruit. It is perfect for this season! I am sure you will be the favorite if you show up with this dessert in hand the next time you are invited to dinner.
1 Recipe for Italian Pastry Cream (Crema Pasticcera)
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (75 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup plain whole milk yogurt
- 1/4 cup (60 grams) non flavored oil such as canola
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup (150 grams) flour
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- butter or oil for greasing the pan
- Grease 11 in tart pan with butter or oil. Preheat oven to 350 degree F
- In a medium mixing bowl beat the eggs and sugar with stand or electric mixer until creamy and pale yellow. Add yogurt and almond extract. Mix again until combined. Add oil and mix it in with a fork until incorporated (not the mixers) this will give the cake a lighter consistency.
- Sift in the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, corn starch, and pinch of salt) to the wet ingredients. Mix with with fork or wooden spoon until unified mixture. Pour batter and spread evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 15-18 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cake cool completely and flip over onto a flat surface. Top with the Italian pastry cream and top with desired fruit. Store any leftovers in the fridge.
Keywords: cake, almond cake, sponge cake, pastry cream, Italian pastry cream, berries, Italian dessert, crostata morbida, soft cake,