This Vitamix Tomato Soup Recipe is a light, creamy, and bright soup with fresh flavors that delivers a classic yet upscale tomato soup. The pop of fresh basil, shallots, and garlic and a swirl of heavy cream make this homemade tomato soup irresistible!
This blender tomato soup recipe makes a delicious lunch or dinner. Serve it with crusty bread or a homemade pesto grilled cheese and a side salad. You can use canned whole tomatoes or freshly cooked tomatoes and make this soup any time of year.
Easy Vitamix Tomato Soup Recipe
There’s no need to sit by the stove with this blender tomato soup! I can’t think of anything more comforting or nostalgic than tomato soup. You will love this 20-minute tomato soup. This is one of those great recipes you will make time and time again!
If you thought making tomato soup was easy wait until you make this it's even easier if you have a high-powered blender. The friction created by a high-powered blender is all the heat you need to cook it.
You can make this easy blender tomato soup recipe in a pinch of time! If you love a no-cook sauce try this blended red bell peppers and ricotta pasta sauce.
Using nothing but pantry ingredients, this dish can be made from start to finish at the spur of the moment.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Canned whole tomatoes
- Tomato paste
- Fresh basil
- Garlic clove
- Chicken broth or vegetable broth
- parmigiano cheese (parmesan cheese) for serving
See the recipe card for quantities.
Easy Vitamix Tomato Soup Recipe
This easy blender tomato soup is made with canned whole tomatoes, meaning it can even be made in the deep, dark days of winter.
I prefer whole tomatoes (San Marzano if you can find them) or simple Roma tomatoes over diced because they have a sweeter flavor and are less processed since they don't go through the dicing process. Canned tomatoes I recommend:
If you are interested in reading more in-depth about canned tomatoes the NY Times published a great article.
Featured is our 2-in-1 cutting and charcuterie board handmade in S.L.C, Utah.
Fresh tomatoes for Vitamix tomato soup
If it is summertime and your garden is bursting with fresh tomatoes, by all means, use those! Nothing beats fresh ingredients in any recipe. I recommend steaming or boiling them and removing the skin for a smooth and creamy soup.
You can also roast fresh tomatoes to give them more flavor by cutting them in half, placing them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet drizzling them with olive oil (fresh herbs if you like), and baking at 400 degrees F for about 15 minutes.
How to make Vitamix Tomato Soup
This is probably the easiest soup recipe you will ever make! It comes together in minutes, tastes amazing, and is made with good wholesome ingredients.
- Place the tomatoes (with their juices), broth, shallot, garlic, thyme, basil, and tomato paste in a blender (use a high-speed blender, such as a Vitamix, if you have one). Season with salt and pepper.
2. Turn the machine on and gradually increase the speed to reach high speed. Blend until completely smooth (about one to two minutes). If using a Vitamix, continue blending until the soup is hot and heavy steam escapes from the lid plug, for about 6 minutes (or, turn on the soup setting).
3. After the soup is hot add heavy cream (to taste) to the soup. A little cream goes a long way! If using a high-speed blender, blend until warmed through, about 5 seconds.
4. Serve hot with freshly grated parmigiano cheese and extra pepper, if desired. Enjoy!
Hint: This soup can be completely blended AND cooked in a VITAMIX(!!). If you don't have one you can blend it up in a regular blender or food processor then simmer the soup on the stove.
Using a regular blender and stove top method:
If you’re using a regular blender, transfer the soup to a pot and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Then add heavy cream and stir for another few minutes.
There is only a swirl of heavy cream in this recipe. If you are dairy free you can use cashew cream or other non-dairy milk.
Try this recipe as is the first time you make it and try a variation the next time you try it.
- Spicy - add chili pepper flakes to add some heat to the soup.
- Deluxe - add some caramelized onions, sautéed onions, or extra minced garlic for more flavor.
- Kid-friendly - make a delicious grilled cheese sandwich with classic cheddar cheese and your kids will run to grab a bowl of tomato soup to dip it!
More delicious soup recipes: Tuscan Ribollita- Vegetable Bread Soup, Simple Artichoke Soup Italian Recipe, Classic Italian Minestrone Soup, and BEST Bacon, Potato, and Kale Zuppa Toscana, Authentic Italian Pasta e Fagioli Recipe (soup).
Vitamix Tomato Soup
Vitamix is one of my favorite appliances.
It’s powerful enough to make everything from nut butter, dips, and smoothies to hot soups and batters.
The best part is you don’t even have to transfer the soup to the stove. If you blend the tomato soup for several minutes, it heats it for you. It is perfect for this easy Vitamix tomato soup recipe.
Just dump in the ingredients, turn it on, and let friction do the work for you. This soup gets a rich, creamy texture from the emulsion of olive oil and tomatoes. You don't even have to add cream if you are sensitive to dairy.
Store the soup in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat in microwave or stovetop stirring occasionally while heating.
What to serve with Easy Vitamix Tomato Soup
This soup pairs well with a homemade pesto grilled cheese. Use homemade pesto and mozzarella cheese to make a twist on a grilled cheese sandwich. I promise dunking this pesto grilled cheese in this tomato soup is sensational!
My children prefer a pesto and mozzarella grilled cheese to the traditional. I hope you can try it too!
- Use quality ingredients! The better the quality the better the soup will taste. Use fresh herbs and a good brand of canned tomatoes- as suggested.
More delicious recipes for you:
- Italian Beans and Greens Recipe (Escarole)
- BEST Lobster Ravioli Sauce with Lemon Brown Butter
- Authentic Tuscan Ribollita- Vegetable Bread Soup
- Pasta e Ceci (Italian Pasta with Chickpea Soup)
- Best Baked Cod Recipe (Easy)
- Best Salmon Piccata Recipe
Make sure to leave a ⭐️star rating on the recipe card and comment below if you make the recipe. I love to connect with you through my recipes.Print
- 1 28- ounce can whole, peeled tomatoes
- ½ cup low sodium chicken or vegetable broth, or water
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped shallot
- ½ garlic clove
- 5 leaves fresh basil
- ½ tablespoon tomato paste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ - ½ cup heavy cream
- parmigiano or parmesan cheese for serving
- Place the tomatoes (with their juices), broth, shallot, garlic, thyme, and tomato paste in a blender (use a high-speed blender, such as a Vitamix, if you have one). Season with salt and pepper.
- Turn the machine on and gradually and increase the speed reaching high speed. Blend until completely smooth (about one to two minutes). If you’re using a Vitamix, continue blending until the soup is hot and heavy steam escapes from the lid plug, about 6 minutes (or, turn on the soup setting). If you’re using a regular blender, transfer the soup to a pot and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- After the soup is hot add heavy cream (to taste) to the soup. If using a high-speed blender, blend until warmed through, about 5 seconds. If using the stovetop, bring the soup back to a simmer, stirring to incorporate the cream.
- Serve hot with freshly grated parmigiano cheese and crusty bread. Enjoy!
Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Category: Savory
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: tomato soup, vitamix, easy soup, garlic, shallots, whole peeled tomatoes, olive oil, basil