- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 pound escarole, chopped
- 3 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (1-ounce) piece Parmesan (chunk)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated parmigiano cheese for serving
Crusty bread for serving
- Prepare escarole: chop off the bottom root then cut the leaves roughly. Soak in cold water and either use a salad spinner or a large kitchen towel to dry. Cut out the hard steam in the middle of the leaf and discard. Chop escarole and set aside until ready to use.
- Drain bean liquid and rinse beans. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 15 seconds.
- Add the escarole and saute until wilted, about 2 minutes. Add a pinch of salt. Add the chicken broth, beans, remaining olive oil, and parmigiano cheese chunk. Cover and simmer until the beans are heated through, about 5-8 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add grated parmigiano cheese and serve with crusty bread.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 10-12 minutes
- Category: Savory
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Italian side dish, vegetarian, main meal, beans, greens, paemigiano, Italian beans, escarole