One Crust Rhubarb Pie Recipe (galette). The most flaky buttery crust is filled with a sweet and jammy rhubarb filling. Truly irresistible! A must make spring recipe with all the fresh rhubarb.
As you notice you won't find any strawberries in the recipe! The pure taste of delicious rhubarb is the STAR of the show in this classic one crust rhubarb pie (galette).
If you want a more traditional bottom crust and top crust rhubarb pie, make my mother-in-law's recipe: BEST Classic Rhubarb Pie Recipe. Also, try Fresh Strawberry Rhubarb Biscuit Cobbler.
Why I love this recipe
The delectable taste of rhubarb is fresh, fruity, and sweet, with a pleasant sour nuance and red berries note.
When you add sugar to rhubarb to take away the initial sour not, you are left with a sweeter-than-strawberry taste that is truly unique.
When paired with our Ultimate All Butter Pie Crust recipe, this galette will send you to the moon with in flavor joy!
This is a must make ALL spring and summer! It is the best rhubarb pie! Don't delay in making the BEST Rhubarb Galette! You will surely be glad you did. Make and Share with LOVE.
- Simple Ingredients
- How to Make One Crust Rhubarb Pie Recipe (galette) Step-by-Step
- Where do I find Rhubarb?
- What Exactly is a Galette?
- Easier than Pie
- Single Crust Rhubarb Pie Options
- Fresh or Frozen Fruit
- Freeze Leftover Rhubarb
- Fruit Filling Variations
- Flavor Variations
- How to Serve Single Crust Rhubarb Pie
- Rustic Rhubarb Galette- PERFECT FLAKY CRUST
All you need is a few simple ingredients for this delectable rhubarb dessert!
- 1 Recipe for: Ultimate All Butter Pie Crust (click for link)
- Fresh rhubarb
- All-purpose flour
- Vanilla extract
- Orange juice (or lemon juice)
- Orange zest (or lemon zest)
See recipe card for quantities
How to Make One Crust Rhubarb Pie Recipe (galette) Step-by-Step
1- First, make your pie crust (see crust recipe to see storage and make ahead options). You can also use store-bought pie crust.
2- Prepare the rhubarb by cutting it into cubes. Make the filling by combining the rhubarb, sugar, flour, vanilla, orange juice, and zest in a large bowl.
3- Roll out your pie crust with a rolling pin. Fill the prepared crust with the rhubarb filling. Dot the top with small pieces of butter. Brush the top of the pie crust with egg wash.
4- Bake pie and let cool slightly before cutting. For best results- let it cool so the filling can thicken. Enjoy!
Where do I find Rhubarb?
Rhubarb is a seasonal plant that you can at your local grocery store during the spring and summer. Look for it in the produce section. You can also find frozen rhubarb year around in the freezer sections of some grocery stores.
My neighbors grow an amazing fresh rhubarb plant, where I get mine! Their rhubarb plant is more like a rhubarb patch it is so large.
Don't worry you can still find fresh rhubarb that is still delicious for baking at your local supermarket.
What Exactly is a Galette?
A galette is a broad term to describe a French tart made with one flat piece of dough wrapped around a fruit filling. Basically, a one crust pie recipe.
The shape can vary from round to a more free-style shape and the texture can range from a crusty cake to a pastry or pancake.
This unique dessert is easy to prepare and bakes to perfection on a baking sheet in the oven. You can also bake a single pie shell in a pie plate.
Baking an open-faced rhubarb pie makes a lovely display of pink and green rhubarb ready to wow your friends and family.
Easier than Pie
In the market for an easy dessert? Perhaps no baking project is easier, simpler, prettier, or lower-stress than a galette. My favorite thing- it's every bit as impressive as a lattice-top pie, with A LOT LESS stress.
I call galettes the lazy yet naturally stunning sister to pie. You know that person who looks naturally stunning no matter what they wear or how messy their hair is?
That is a galette. There is no right or wrong way to shape and "style" a galette. In the end, you are left with a beautiful and delicious dessert!
A galette is a perfect way to show off the beauty of natural fruit flavors and colors. Don't delay in making a galette TODAY!
More fruit pies you will love: Fresh Apricot Galette, Best Brown Butter Apple Pie, Best Italian Ricotta Pie Recipe, Best Banana Cream Dream Pie (with homemade custard), and Best Bursting Blueberry Pie Flaky Crust.
Single Crust Rhubarb Pie Options
- For the single crust, you can: make a homemade single crust recipe (do not pre-bake), use a frozen pie crust (do not thaw), or use a roll of pre-made pie crust from the refrigerator section at the grocery store.
Fresh or Frozen Fruit
The fruit really shines in a galette so fresh and in season is always better.
With that said, It might be winter time and I’m craving a rhubarb galette and nothing can stop me so… I will use frozen when needed.
The key when using frozen fruit is adding a little extra binding agent such as flour and sugar to ensure the extra fruit juice turns into that ooey gooey jam like filling.
Freeze Leftover Rhubarb
Rhubarb freezes wonderfully! Before freezing, I like to clean the fruit thoroughly. I then slice the rhubarb stalks into ½- to 1-inch pieces.
After slicing the fruit, transfer it to a freezer zip top bag. Squeeze all the air out of the bag and freeze for up to 1 year.
Fruit Filling Variations
YES!! You can use anything from berries to stone fruit!
Just like pies, galettes (or, single crust pie) can use nearly any fruit and even lean savory with vegetables and cheese.
The shorter baking time of a galette requires that the fruit be thinly sliced so the filling bakes at the same time as the crust.
Once sliced, the fruit is tossed with a mixture of sugar and flour; the flour helps absorb some moisture from the fruit and thickens the filling.
I love how pretty this open top rhubarb pie is. The presentation is beautiful since you can see all the lovely red and green pieces of rhubarb baked into the pie instead of hiding it underneath a second pie crust.
Flavor. If you prefer lemon instead of orange you can use that as the juice and zest.
Topping. If you like to make a crumble topping with brown sugar, oats, and flour- you can sprinkle the crumb topping on top before baking. I like it pure and simple without any topping.
Filling. some like to make a custard pie with rhubarb (rhubarb custard pie) I hope to try that variation soon!
How to Serve Single Crust Rhubarb Pie
You don’t have to serve anything with a rustic galette, it is truly magical all on its own. If you want to get fancy for a get-together, a few options always work beautifully with galettes!
- Good quality vanilla ice cream
- Freshly whipped cream with a hint on vanilla
- Whipped mascarpone cream sweetened with honey
- Honey lemon yogurt sauce
More desserts for you:
- Italian Easter Desserts- Ricotta Pie Recipe
- Italian Easter Rice Pie Recipe (Pastiera di Riso)
- Sweet Focaccia with Raspberries and Balsamic Glaze
- Easy Almond Sponge Cake with Italian Cream
- Puff Pastry filled with Italian Chocolate Cream
- Classic Italian Tiramisu Recipe (Authentic)
From my Cucina to your Table... Mangia! Mangia (Eat!)
Made with Amore, Elena
Never a soggy bottom with this ultimate all butter pie dough recipe! Ultimate All Butter Pie Crust
Make sure to leave a ⭐️star rating on the recipe card and comment below if you make the recipe. I love to connect with you through my recipes.
I would love for you to tag me on Instagram @cucinabyelena so I can see your delicious Italian recipes. To get more ideas, follow me on Pinterest.Print
Rustic Rhubarb Galette- PERFECT FLAKY CRUST
The pure taste of delicious rhubarb are the STAR of the show in this classic rhubarb galette. When paired with the Ultimate All Butter Pie Crust recipe this galette will send you to the moon with in flavor joy! This is a must make ALL spring and summer!
- Total Time: 60 minuntes
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
1 recipe Ultimate All-Butter Pie Crust Recipe (click link for recipe)
- 4 cups fresh rhubarb (cut into small 1 inch pieces)
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour (if using frozen fruit add 1 teaspoon more of flour and sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon butter - in small pieces for dotting the top of the pie
- 1 egg yolk (egg wash)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees f
- Unwrap pie dough from the fridge, roll out with a rolling pin on floured surface to make a large circle (about 16-18 inches in diameter). Place the dough on a piece of parchment paper that is on a baking sheet.
- In a bowl add sugar and flour and mix with a fork or whisk. Add in the rhubarb and orange juice. Stir to coat.
- Pour rhubarb mixture into the center of the pie dough and gentle spread out leaving a 2-3 inch boarder on the edges). Start folding the edges up and over the edge of the filling. Do this around entire galette.
- Dot the top of the galette with the pea-sized butter pieces. When completed, set aside.
- In a small bowl beat egg yolk with a fork. Brush the edges of the pie crust with the egg wash (this gives it the golden brown color).
- Place in the oven on the center rack and bake for at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes then turn down the temp to 350 degrees F for 25 minutes. If the edges start to brown too quickly cover loosely with aluminum foil.
- Remove when the crust is golden brown and the center is bubbly. When done, remove from oven. and let the it sit for at least 10 minutes, allowing the sweet fruit juices to thicken slightly.
- Enjoy plain, with ice cream, or sweetened whipped cream
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 40 min
- Category: Sweet/ Dessert
- Method: Italian/ French/ American
- Cuisine: Italian/ French/ American
Keywords: pie crust, galette, dessert, all butter pie crust, flaky pie crust, rhubarb galette, dessert recipe, sweet recipe, fruit galette, fruit pie
Pie is in the oven, but where was the vanilla supposed to go? It's listed in the ingredients but not in the directions. I've never seen a rhubarb pie recipe with vanilla, so I decided not to add it to the filling. I'm sure it's fine; I was just curious about it.
Sorry about that! You can add it to the rhubarb mixture (optional). Enjoy!
Seriously, my favorite dessert with rhubarb- Ever! No strawberries needed the rhubarb shines bright and sweet.
This recipe has just replaced all others! Easy and delicious! Making again for the second time tomorrow.n love it! Thank you!!
Hi Janie, I am so happy you loved the recipe!I am making it this weekend too. We have so much rhubarb!
The BEST rhubarb dessert!