Classic Rhubarb Galette Recipe
As you notice you won’t find any strawberries in the recipe! The pure taste of delicious rhubarb is the STAR of the show in this classic rhubarb galette. The delectable taste of rhubarb is fresh, fruity and sweet, with a pleasant sour nuance and red berries note. When you add sugar to rhubarb to take away the initial sour not you are left with sweeter than strawberry taste that is truly unique. When paired with the Ultimate All Butter Pie Crust recipe this galette will send you to the moon with in flavor joy! This is a must make ALL spring and summer! Don’t delay in making the BEST Rhubarb Galette! You will surely be glad you did. Make and Share with LOVE.
Make the Perfect Flaky Pie Crust with this Recipe: Ultimate All Butter Pie Crust
What Exactly is a Galette?
A galette is a broad term used to describe a French tart made with one flat piece of dough that is wrapped around a fruit filling. The shape can vary from round to a more free-style shape and the texture can range from a crusty cake to a pastry or pancake. This unique dessert is easy to prepare and bakes to perfection on a baking sheet in the oven!
What’s Easier than Pie? A Galette!
In the market for an easy dessert? There is perhaps no baking project easier, simpler, prettier, or lower-stress than the galette. Plus, it’s every bit as impressive as a lattice-top pie, with A LOT LESS stress.
I call galettes the lazy, yet naturally stunning, sister to pie. You know that person who looks naturally stunning no matter what they wear or how messy their hair is? That is a galette. There is no right or wrong way to shape and “style” a galette. In the end you are left with a beautiful and delicious dessert!
A galette is the perfect way to show off the beauty of natural fruit flavors and colors. Don’t delay in making a galette TODAY!
What to Serve with a Galette
You don’t have to serve anything with a rustic galette, it is truly magical all on its own. If you want to get fancy for a get-together, there are a few options that always work beautifully with galettes!
- good quality vanilla ice cream
- freshly whipped cream with a hint on vanilla
- whipped mascarpone cream sweetened with honey
Fresh or Frozen Fruit for the Galette?
The fruit really shines in a galette so fresh and in season is always better. With that said, It might be winter time and I’m craving a rhubarb galette and nothing can stop me so… I will use frozen when needed. The key when using frozen fruit is adding a little extra binding agent such as flour and sugar to ensure the extra fruit juice turns into that ooey gooey jam like filling.
Can I use different Fruit in a Galette?
YES!! You can use anything from berries to stone fruit!
Just like pies, galettes can use nearly any fruit and even lean savory with vegetables and cheese. The shorter baking time of a galette requires that the fruit be thinly sliced so the filling bakes at the same time as the crust. Once sliced, the fruit is tossed with a mixture of sugar and flour; the flour helps absorb some moisture from the fruit and thickens the filling.
More Delicious Galettes, Pies, and Tarts for YOU
From my Cucina to your Table… Mangia! Mangia (Eat!)
Made with Amore, Elena
Never a soggy bottom with this ultimate all butter pie dough recipe! Ultimate All Butter Pie CrustPrint
The pure taste of delicious rhubarb are the STAR of the show in this classic rhubarb galette. The delectable taste of rhubarb is fresh, fruity and sweet, with a pleasant sour nuance and red berries note. When you add sugar to rhubarb to take away the initial sour not you are left with sweeter than strawberry taste that is truly unique. When paired with the Ultimate All Butter Pie Crust recipe this galette will send you to the moon with in flavor joy! This is a must make ALL spring and summer! Don’t delay in making the BEST Rhubarb Galette! You will surely be glad you did. Make and Share with LOVE.
- 1 Recipe for: Ultimate All Butter Pie Dough
- Rhubarb Filling:
- 4 cups fresh rhubarb (cut into small 1 inch pieces)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour (if using frozen fruit add 1 teaspoon more of flour and sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon butter – pea sized pieces, for dotting the top of pie
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F
- Unwrap pie dough from the fridge, roll out on floured surface to make a large circle (about 16-18 inches in diameter). Place the dough on a piece of parchment paper that is on a baking sheet.
- In a bowl add sugar and flour and mix with a fork or whisk. Add in the rhubarb and orange juice. Stir to coat.
- Pour rhubarb mixture into the center of the pie dough and gentle spread out leaving a 2-3 inch boarder on the edges). Start folding the edges up and over the edge of the filling. Do this around entire galette.
- Dot the top of the galette with the pea-sized butter pieces. When completed, set aside. Crack an egg and beat it with a fork. Brush the edges of the pie crust with the egg wash (this gives it the golden brown color).
- Place in the oven on the center rack and bake for at 425 degrees F for 15 minutes then turn down the temp to 350 degrees F for 25 minutes. Remove when the crust is golden brown and the center is bubbly. When done, remove from oven. and let the it sit for at least 10 minutes, allowing the sweet fruit juices to thicken slightly.
- Enjoy plain, with ice cream, or sweetened cream
Keywords: pie crust, galette, dessert, all butter pie crust, flaky pie crust, rhubarb galette, dessert recipe, sweet recipe, fruit galette, fruit pie